How to cook Stir-fried Chicken with Holy Basil and fried Egg Thai style (ผัดกะเพราไก่ไข่ดาว) Pad Ka Phrao Gai Kai Dao
English = Thai = How to pronounce
Meat pan fried with holy basil = ผัดกะเพรา = Pad Ka Phrao
Pork pan fried with holy basil = ผัดกะเพราหมู = Pad Ka Phrao Mū
Pork = หมู = Mū
Chicken pan fried with holy basil = ผัดกะเพราไก่ = Pad Ka Phrao Gai
Chicken = ไก่ = Gai
Seafood pan fried with holy basil = ผัดกะเพราทะเล = Pad Ka Phrao Tha Lē
Sea food = ทะเล = Tha Lē
Egg = ไข่ = Kai
Star = ดาว = Dao
This was the dish that I cooked the most often when I was studying in the UK. It was easy to find all ingredients that I needed. They were pretty much everywhere. And it's healthy, I actually had it for my six-pack building diet (obviously more meat and spices and less rice) along with my crazy love of weightlifting. Finally, my foreigner friends who I cooked for loved it!!
Another thing that happened quite often after I moved back to Thailand was that friends kept messaging me asking how to cook Pad Ka Phrao. After writing my friends the cooking instructions, I began to wonder why don't I just make a video of it with the description. This, way it will be easier for my friends to follow it and enjoy real Thai homemade Pad Ka Phrao.
So here I am, sharing a description and video about how to make real Pad Ka Phrao for my lovey Thai food lovers to enjoy at home.
To read more about "What real Pad Ka Phrao should be" and "What Do Thai People Actually Eat?" << Click here
**For 1 serves**
- Garlic, 4 big cloves
- Bird eye chillies, 2 chillies (you can add according to your taste)
- Holy basil leaves, one handful
- Light soy sauce, 0.5 table spoon
- Dark soy sauce, 0.5 table spoon
- Oyster sauce, 1 table spoon
- Slide/minced chicken, 150 grams (or any meat you would like)
- Coconut oil, 1 and a half tablespoon (or any cooking oil)
- Egg, 1 large (or how much ever you would like)
- Coconut oil, 1/4 cup (or any cooking oil)
- Peel garlic
- Pick chilli stems out
- Make Pad Ka Pao paste by mincing garlic and bird eyes chillies in a mortar and pestle into a coarse state (and if you don't have a mortar and pestle you can be creative by using a blender)
- Holy basil/Italian basil: pick only leaves and if the leaf is too big just cut it in half.
- Slice or mince the meat
- Cook jasmine rice, about a cup
-Heat up the pan (doesn't have to be hot)
- Add 1 and a half tablespoons of coconut oil then add Pad Ka Pao paste and stir it around until you can smell the paste. **note** it burns quite easily so you shouldn't cook on high heat at this state; keep stirring it around until it turns golden.
- Add meat and stir it around until the paste mixes with the meat. At this state you can cook it on medium to hight heat.
- Leave it on the heat, shouldn't take that long, until the meat is cooked on the outside.
-Add the 3 sauces at the same time. Keep mix them around. And wait until the meat is cooked.
- Once meat is cook, add basil leaves. Stir it really quick and turn the heat off. Serve.
- With egg: heat up new pan and put 1/4 cup of coconut oil (or enough to make egg pan-fried). Crack egg on the medium hot oil and pan-fry it. Serve on top of the jasmine rice.
Let's make your kitchen smell like a healthy Thai kitchen and share your spicy pictures.